Gus van sant's "elephant"
You about to watch director Gus Van Sant’s film Elephant. This film has a mature theme. Read over the questions below before watching. Answer the questions below on a separate sheet of paper.
- What is your personal opinion of this film? Explain using specific details.
- Why do you think the director Gus Van Sant gave this film the title Elephant?
- Why was the pacing of this film so slow? Why did it spend so much time following students as they engaged in their mundane daily activities?
- Choose 4 specific camera angles / shots used in this film and discuss how you think they affected the storytelling.
- Does the movie offer the motives of the shooters? If so, what were they? If not, why do you think they were omitted?
- What greater point, if any, do you think the director was trying to make about school violence by filming this movie the way he did?
LINKS TO CRITICAL REVIEWS